New International Version (NIV)
12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
the people he chose for his inheritance.
2012 National Prayer
Written By: Dr. David Jeremiah – NDP Honorary Chairman
Every good gift and perfect gift comes from You. You are a faithful God and Your mercy endures forever. You have promised to bless the nation that trusts in You. Our currency proclaims “In God We Trust,” but in our culture we are far from You. In the words of the prophet Daniel, “We have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments.” We come before You once more, seeking Your forgiveness and mercy. You, O God, are our only hope… Hear our prayer and, for Your honor’s sake, shine Your face upon this nation. Give our leaders the desire to seek Your wisdom and the courage to follow Your guidance… and watch over the men and women of our armed forces as they sacrifice for the cause of freedom. We give You thanks for all You have done for us, and we earnestly pray that You will help us become, once again, a nation whose God is the Lord. In the name of Your Son, and our Savior, we pray this prayer. Amen
Today is the 2012 National Day of Prayer. If you’re wondering how this observance came to be, check out the Historical Time Line at the link below:
Sometimes we become so focused on our individual circumstances that we forget to pray for things larger than ourselves like the spiritual health of our nation. So as you pray for the individual concerns listed below, I’d also ask that you spend a few moments focused on larger issues, like all of the people in our nation and beyond who have yet to know Jesus as Savior and friend.
Prayer Requests – 5/3/2012
· Jennifer – Pray for God’s will to be done.
· Sherri – Pray for encouragement.
· Bob – Pray that he comes to salvation and knows Jesus in his heart, not his head.
· Trey – Pray for the Lord’s protection and that he stays in remission.
· Angie – Pray for her salvation and that she comes to know Jesus.
· Chloe – Pray that her mother would see that Chloe is fearfully and wonderfully made by God. Pray that her mother would be able to let go of her anger about Chloe’s various medical conditions. Pray that Chloe would be strengthened and feel God’s love as she goes through her treatments.
· Vincenza – Pray that her body responds well to chemo. Give thanks and praise that she is off oxygen and the condition of her lungs is improving.
· Riley – Pray for healing and pain relief from the side effects of chemo.
· Mary Jane – Pray for stress relief as she is feeling overwhelmed as a single mother.
· Sal – Pray for comfort and pain relief as he has transitioned into hospice care. Pray for his daughter who is struggling with the stress of being a caregiver and also balance that with her other work and family responsibilities.
· Sharon – Pray for pain relief and peace for her family.
· Evelyn, Gloria, Shelita – Just pray. The Lord knows their needs.
· For the family of Michael – Pray for God’s love to poured out on this family as they mourn. Pray for peace.
Heavenly Father – As I look over this list, I’m saddened by the difficulties that so many we know are facing this week. It hurts to know that many of our friends are in pain, whether it be physical or emotional. Lord, You know what kind of healing is needed and I ask for Your abundant mercy on behalf of the people listed above. But more than that, I ask for those individuals to be made aware of the healing they receive, to be made aware that it was born from Your grace. When we hear reports of answered prayers, I ask that we are bold enough to share our experiences with others. Use our lives and our circumstances to bring others closer to You. And on this day, our National Day of Prayer, I ask that You open our eyes to see needs beyond our own and give us the courage to put our faith into action. Help us become people who are worthy of the precious gift you gave and use our lives to bring glory to Your name. Amen.